29 December 2012

2012 Movies & TV in Review

Since I already did my post on my favorite books read this year, all I have left are movies and television. 



Television

This year, I made it a point not to get addicted to any "new" shows. Meaning all the shows that premiered this year... I haven't seem any. I did, however, discover two shows that have been around for a while but are new to me!

1. Doctor Who: Either you love it or you just don't get it.  Not that there's really anything to "get" but I've had a few people watch it and all I get from them are head shakes. No matter, I love it dearly and look forward to continuing on the journey (since I'm only on series five).
Favorite Episodes:

-The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances (s. 1)
-The Girl in the Fireplace (s. 2)
-Army of Ghosts/Doomsday (s. 2)
-The Shakespeare Code (s. 3)
-Blink (s. 3)
-Human Nature/The Family of Blood (s. 3)
-Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords (s. 3)
-Partners in Crime (s. 4)
-Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead (s. 4)
-Stolen Earth/Journey's End (s. 4)
-The End of Time (special)

2. The Big Bang Theory: I think this is the most brilliant and hysterically funny show I've ever seen. Every episode brings laughter into my life and I think Sheldon Cooper is one of the best characters. I love his quirks.
Favorite Episodes:

-The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis (s. 2)
-The Adhesive Duck Deficiency (s. 3)
-The Zazzy Substitution (s. 4)
-The Shiny Trinket Maneuver (s. 5)
-The 43 Peculiarity (s. 6)


Movies

As usual, there was an abundance of movies released this year. Some great, some ok, some bad.

Favorites:

1) The Hobbit: Like the Lord of the Rings trilogy before this first installment, An Unexpected Journey is beautifully done. Peter Jackson continued to create a world in which I would love to get lost, Orcs and all. The only problem is that I can't decide if I like Bilbo, Thorin or Gandalf the most...

2) The Hunger Games: While the book was vastly more enjoyable, the film was still very well made. I left the theater fully satisfied that they hadn't mucked it up, as had happened with Twilight.

3) The Dark Knight Rises: I love Bane. Very, very much. He's just awesome. And, the end of this movie, at the cafe... Alfred... Bruce and Selina... I was very content.

4) The Avengers: For the most part, I'm a big fan of movies based on Comic Books. Well, at least these comic books (I'm not into Spider Man). All of my favorites in one movie... it was fun!

5) Prometheus: I actually just watched this on DVD today and I loved it more than I thought I would. I was gripped with suspense throughout the entire movie and even shrieked once or twice.

Honorable Mention: The Cabin in the Woods. Such twists, such enjoyment!

Worst of the Year:

1)Rock of Ages: I really, really wanted to like it. However, from the first five minutes I was very much doubting that I would... and I didn't. A musical at it's worst.

2)Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter: It had some decent moments but for the most part, I lost interest and had to fight to pay attention.

3) Magic Mike: There were some very enjoyable parts (the dance numbers) but then there was the unfortunate aspect of the actual story line. Too much movie, not enough taking off their clothes.

No comments: